01 April 2008

Babysitters are like men

My friend Tracey told me this when I told her I was looking for a new sitter for Aaron. All the good ones are taken or hard to find. It's so true. I found one sitter that has been here a few times, but she is going home for the summer, so I am still looking for another sitter.

I interviewed a candidate on Saturday. We met at the mall, since like a blind date, I don't want to have them come to my house before we meet. (Actually, I figure it is safer for both of us and since she doesn't know me, she might not want to come to my house sight unseen.) She seems qualified, but it's hard to be sure about someone from just one interview. She was going to send me her references and once I talked to them, I was going to have her come out for a test run to see if it is a good fit for everyone. She is looking for something long-term, which is great, because I want someone who can start now and work past the summer, even if the current sitter works out (since there are always gaps in schedules).

So I come home and I anxiously check my e-mail the rest of the day, looking for her references. I finally hear from her on Sunday. But in the meantime, I feel like the girl after a good date, waiting for the guy to call the next day, like he said he would. And I'm starting to wonder if she's not interested, did I screw up the interview, not offer enough money. Long story short, though, I still don't have her references. And on Care.com, you can tell how recentlly someone logged in and I can tell she's been online within the last day, so why doesn't she contact me?

I also feel the rejection every time I contact a Care.com member, explaining my situation and asking if they are interested, and then don't hear back from them. I think I probably only get a response 20% of the time. I'm so glad I'm married because I don't think I could date in the digital age, using dating services like match.com. It's depressing!

I know I should just keep looking (and I am), but it seems like it takes so much energy to consider someone - contacting them, setting up an initial interview, trying to reach their references, having them out for a second paid interview (a 2 hour "test run" to see if it is a good fit). So every time I find someone who seems like they could work, I put my effort into that and don't look too hard at who else is in the pool. I need some kind of speed dating for babysitters so I can consider several at once.

If you know anyone looking for a part-time nanny position near me, let me know!

No comments: