31 March 2008

Social videogames?

I thought this was so funny, I had to share.

Yesterday, we went to my brother Jim's for board games and dinner. I thought we were all going to play, but my 15 year-old nephew Chris was playing a first person shooter game on the computer and didn't show any signs of joining us. When it was clear he wasn't going to play with us, I said something about him being antisocial for not playing with us. Without looking over from his game, he replied, sounding a little annoyed, "There's like a million people online right now. I wouldn't call that 'antisocial'."

And he was serious. As if playing an online video game with "like a million people" where you go around shooting each other is as social as playing board games with your family. It's probably more social since there were only 5 of us playing board games and not a million.

No comments: