14 April 2008

Clothes

The weather has been crazy this spring. One day we are running the furnace at night and the next day I'm almost ready to turn on the A/C! And then we have another cool spell.

This weekend, temps reached about 98 degrees at our house. I've been dressing Aaron in long sleeve onsies and pants. But suddenly as it is approaching 80 inside the house and I'm rummaging through his clothes looking for shorts and rompers. I thought I had a bunch of shorts in his 12 month clothes bag (I have his clothes organized into these giant vacuum seal bags and had a lot of 12 months stuff from hand-me-downs and stuff I bought on sale). But I found I only have a few pairs of shorts and one romper that fits him.

I've been tending to buy stuff when I see it on sale. Costco has great prices on Carter's clothing, so when we do our Costco run, I look to see what they have. (A few weeks ago I bought some nice cotton PJ sets that have a top, with coordinating pants and shorts.) I also like the sale rack at the Pumpkin Patch. And I recently bought him a cute outfit at The Children's Place for his 12 month photos - linen pants and a cotton shirt, under $16 on sale for both.

But I suddenly realized I need some shorts and rompers that will fit him this summer so I started looking online. I get (too) frequent e-mails from Kohl's announcing sales and went to check out their latest sale. Carter's rompers were on sale 2/$14, which is pretty good. But the shipping on the items I wanted to buy was over $11, which is a bit high. For some reason Kohl's charges per item vs. Old Navy (another favorite of mine) which charges only $5 for all orders. So on Kohl's, you are effectively punished for ordering lots of items. And to get free shipping, you have to spend $75, which is more than I wanted to spend on new clothes.

Anyway, with temps over 90, I didn't want to go to the Kohl's brick-and-mortar, so I went to eBay. I bid on and won 4 auctions last night for boy's summer outfits in size 18 months, 3 from the same seller who combined shipping on the orders. From that seller, I got 6 rompers, all in seemingly good condition, for a total of about $23, including shipping. The other order was for 17 pieces and was less that $30 with shipping. I didn't like everything in the lot, but figured what I did like was worth at least $30.

Oh, and I also recently bought on babycenter.com a little 2 piece swim suit on sale (two piece since the little shirt has UVA/UVB sun protection) so we can take Aaron to the pool and the beach soon. He loves his bath so much, I can't wait to see what he thinks of being immersed in water.

So now we are set for awhile. We already have lots of pants in 12-18 months, which we'll want for crawling, but as the days heat up, I think Aaron will prefer shorts, even if he gets a few rug burns on his knees.

No comments: