27 April 2008

In Defense of No TV

I was reading some postings online recently by moms about kids watching television. Infants and toddlers to be exact. Everyone posting was in favor of letting kids under 2 watch TV. I've heard it over and over again "I wasn't going to let my kids watch TV before 2, but..." or "I was really strict about TV with my first, but gave up after my second one." TV watching and the effects of media on young children in general has become a major concern of mine, especially now that I have my own child.

I know many good moms who let their infants and toddler watch TV and I don't judge them for it. Like me, they are doing what they think is best for their kids. But the moms that were posting seemed to think that moms who don't let their kids watch TV were putting on airs. I don't feel that I'm being stuck up for not letting Aaron watch TV. I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject and feel pretty strongly about my reasons for not letting Aaron watch TV at this point in his life. So I would like to present my side.

For anyone who doesn't know me, we do have a TV in the house. Just one. None in the bedroom. And we also have a movie screen and projector in our living room. We like TV and movies. I know there is a minority of parents out there opposed to their kids watching TV that think TV is bad all around and don't watch it themselves. But we use it for down time in the evenings after work. It's not the best use of our time, but it's an easy way to unwind at the end of the day. We don't watch TV during the day, though, not even on weekends, so keeping the TV off while Aaron is awake has never been an issue.

Part of my reasoning for not letting Aaron watch TV before the age of 2 is due to the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics. But even before I knew about their guidelines on TV, I didn't think it was a good idea. I've seen how kids, not just infants and toddlers, get sucked into TV. They sit passively, almost zombie-like while they watch. They don't hear their parents talking to them. They whine when the TV is turned off for dinner or bedtime. I couldn't imagine how that could be good for them - or their parents.

I had also started to wonder if the increase in ADHD could be related to kids watching more TV. Yeah, I grew up watching TV, but I started watching Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroo when I was maybe 3 years old. Mom didn't stick me in front of the TV starting at 6 months, and there wasn't kid's programming on 24/7 like there is now, so our TV watching was limited. I think the increase in issues like ADHD and autism could very well have an environmental factor, and so I can't help but look at what things parents do today that is different from when I was a kid. And increased TV watching among infants and toddlers is one difference. (I realize this is all conjecture - I'm just explaining my thought process.)

So initially I was worried about behavioral effects television might have on Aaron. But then I read Buy, Buy, Baby by Susan Gregory Thomas which talks about how children's shows are used to market products to children as young as infants and I started to worry more about how else TV might influence him. She refers to studies they have done that show that all that 1 year olds can really learn from TV shows is character recognition. Which is great for companies trying to sell products with licensed characters on them. Elmo was designed to appeal to babies and very young children. The result? Tickle-Me Elmo ends up being one of the hottest toys for that age range. Media companies sell the shows as educational so that parents think it is OK for their babies and toddlers to watch, but there isn't research to back up their claims.

And currently I'm reading Einstein Never Used Flashcards by Roberta Michnick Golinkoff and Kathy Hirsh-Pasek who explain that kids learn by interaction with adults and other kids. They learn language by pointing at things and having you respond by naming them. They don't learn passively by listening to language on TV. It's a fascinating book that explains how babies and young children learn and why you don't need gimmicky educational toys and programs to raise intelligent kids.

I'm also reading Consuming Kids by Susan Linn which is really a wake up call about how much the toy and media industries are trying to market to kids as young as infants and their parents. It is packed with examples and cites references on at least every page (I keep a bookmark in the back where the references are since I'm constantly looking to see where she gets her information). I personally think marketing to toddlers and infants is unconscionable and was disgusted by some of the blatant practices in the industry (they actually have an annual trade show for marketers just on how to market to children where they teach people how to take advantage of the nag factor!)

These books along with my own observances have really strengthened my resolve not to let Aaron watch TV until he is at least 2, and even then, I see no hurry.

There are two main arguments I've head for letting very young children watch TV. The first one cited is usually that it is the only way mom can get any time to herself or take care of basic tasks around the house like laundry or making dinner. The second one is that there are shows on TV designed to be educational for 1 and 2 year olds.

I don't know about other moms, but Aaron takes 2 naps a day, totaling 2-4 hours. I use that time to work on my business, but if I wasn't working, those naps would give me ample time to myself. I don't think I need much during the day - it's not like Thom sits around reading novels at work and I also get down time in the evenings after Aaron is in bed. As for chores around the house, I've found folding laundry is one of the easiest chores to do with Aaron. He either sits on the floor with me and plays with toys while I'm folding, or I let him pull clothes out of the basket. Either way, I can get the laundry folded and he is entertained. And perhaps more importantly, he is learning about doing chores! When I'm making dinner (or cleaning up the kitchen), he is content to play in his playpen for 20 minutes or so, which is generally enough time to get something easy prepared (I save more time-consuming meals for weekends when Thom can help out).

As for shows being educational, I don't think there is research to support that. And even if a baby can mimic actions seen on TV or a toddler parrots phrases he or she hears, that doesn't mean it is more educational than spending time with mom or dad or another care giver. In fact, studies suggest children learn more and learn more quickly from interaction with a caregiver than from TV. So I don't think there is a need for infants and toddlers to watch TV.

I think the things we do with our youngsters helps them form habits. For example, I started reading books to Aaron before he showed any interest in them - actually before he was born (mostly just so he'd hear my voice). And starting at 6 months, I made it a habit to read every night before bedtime. At first, he didn't seem to care, but now that it has become habit, he enjoys turning the pages and will point at pictures and "talk" about them.

Watching TV isn't a habit I want Aaron to form. He will pick it up eventually, and that is soon enough. Any time that he spends watching TV is time he could be spending doing something more productive. If he needs down time, we go for a walk or sit outside or read stories. And TV is just not something he needs. In fact, in the year we've had him, TV has never been an issue. There has never been a time we've felt like "If only we let him watch TV, things would be much easier."

Will watching TV harm him? I don't know for sure, and it certainly depends on what he watches. But why chance it? That's an argument I heard a lot for why women don't do, eat or drink certain things during pregnancy. A little wine might be OK, they think, but why take a chance? I feel the same way about TV. The likelihood of it having a negative effect seems much more likely to me than it having a positive effect.

So I don't mean to sound like a snob for saying my son doesn't watch TV when you ask if he likes Teletubbies or Dora the Explorer. I've based my decision on a lot of reading and thinking and I'm not just hopping on the latest elitist bandwagon. I try to limit my elitism to voting for Barak Obama. :) If you made it this far, thank you for reading.

No comments: