01 July 2009

Doing and Going

These are Aaron's two most common questions lately. He either wants to know what something/someone is doing, or where they are going.

Sometimes this is easy to answer:

Aaron: "Dada doing?" Me: "Dada is making your banana oatmeal."

Aaron: "Car going?" Me: "The car is going home." (I have no idea where random cars are really going, but I make something up anyway.)

Sometimes it is not as easy to answer:

Aaron: "Jacaronda!" Me: "You see a jacaronda tree?" (They are blooming right now and this is a new word he learned recently.) Aaron: "Yeah! Doing?"

How do you answer that? What IS the jacaronda tree doing? Sometimes I will answer something like "Isn't it pretty with the purple flowers?" Other times when he asks what some stationary object is doing, I make something up like "It's waiting for you to play with it." And as a last resort, I will tell him "I don't know what the fill-in-the-blank is doing."

I am guessing this is a precursor to "Why?" That should be a fun stage. He's so inquisitive and I think answering his seemingly redundant and odd questions is helping him to understand the world he lives in.

And I frequently turn the tables on him and ask him what something is doing or where it is going to give him a chance to demonstrate what he has learned. Lately, he'll be playing with his little bus or other car and I'll ask where it is going. Oddly enough, it turns out the vehicle in question is "going potty". I would not have guessed that.

No comments: