01 July 2009

Glucose Screen

I had my 1 hour glucose screen yesterday. They said they would call if I didn't pass. So I was disappointed to hear from my OB's nurse today. I now have to take the 3 hour fasting glucose test. I'm going Tuesday morning at 7:15am. They will draw my blood to get my fasting glucose level, then make me drink a bottle of Glucola which will make me feel sick, then I will sit around for 3 hours so they can draw my blood every hour for a total of 4 blood draws. During that 3 hours, I can have nothing but water. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to it.

I had to do the fasting test with Aaron, too. That time, I think I got a 143 on the 1 hour test. Anything over 130 and they require the 3 hour fasting test. Of the 4 blood draws I had during the 3 hour test last time, my glucose level was high on only 1, which they consider passing. If two are high, then they treat you for gestational diabetes. I'm a little concerned because this time I got 168. But this time, I had the test in the morning, when I've read that glucose spikes are most common. Last time, I had the 1 hour test late in the day.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Either way, I know I need to get more exercise and watch my carbs. I gained 5 pounds in the last 4 weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also had a high score at my one-hour test - 192. The lab called and told me I had failed miserably. I am in my 26th week and have gained 12 pounds only. Well, I have to go and do the 3-hour test next week. Hopefully, I won't have GD. All the best for you too.