24 July 2009

Baby 2.0 Update

I saw my OB today. I lost a pound since my last weigh in with my OBs office 3 weeks ago due to my gestational diabetes diet. Prior to that, I had been gaining about 5 pounds between my 4 week visits - a little more than the goal of no more than a pound a week. I must have mis-remembered my prior weigh in because when I was weighed at the dietician's office (on a different scale), I had thought it was 4 pounds lighter than my previous weight, so I haven't really lost that much. I'm not worried about the baby since I know I am getting plenty of nutrients and eating good foods for the baby and that the baby will take what it needs anyway.

When I saw my OB two visits ago, he said he'd take another look at the baby and see if he could tell us the gender with certainty. So I asked about it today and he did an ultrasound. I had Thom and Aaron with me in hopes that we'd find out. I think the picture above is easy to understand, but just in case it's not, the baby is facing you, with the head on the left. You can see the eye socket on top and then coming up from the bottom is an arm. It's not the clearest picture because the ultrasound machine at the OBs office is older than the one we had our 20 week ultrasound on. But on the monitor, we could see the baby pretty well. He said the baby's eyes were closed and it was sleeping.

The picture below reveals the gender. I had read about the 3 lines, but we didn't see them at the 20 week ultrasound.

Apparently from this fact, the OB was confident we are having a baby girl. So Baby 2.0 is Baby Girl 1.0. It is adorable hearing Aaron say "baby sister". When we tell him he is going to be a big brother, he now says "baby sister". Even before, he would say "baby", since he connects his being a big brother to there being a baby. My OB printed out a copy of the top picture for Aaron to hold. This evening, after we got back late from a neighbor's house, he was sitting at the table having some milk before bed and he saw his picture. He said "See sister." So we gave him the picture. And then he said "Doctor B--" (my OB's name) because he remembered that is who gave it to him.


I know he's going to have a hard time adjusting and will ask for the baby to "go away", but I also think he's going to be a good big brother. We've been around other babies a lot lately (two friends had daughters in January, and his cousin Clara is 11 months old) and even though he tells them "no cry" and even told one to "go away", he is also good about giving them pacifiers and toys.

No comments: