28 June 2009

Runny nose and teething?

Aaron has a clear runny nose today. About a month ago, he had a clear runny nose that lasted a week or so and he never developed other symptoms. He was irritable and didn't sleep well. It coincided with when we switched from a sleep sack to blankets, which made it hard to know what was going on.

Last night he was hyper and really fussy, which I assumed was from being over-tired. And when his nose started running this morning, I figuerd the fussiness yesterday was due to a cold coming on. But now I'm starting to wonder if it could be teething. He has one molar left to come in. The last three molars he got came in relatively close together, but still aren't fully through the gums.

So I was googling teething and runny nose and it sounds a lot like the fever/teething issue I blogged about previously. Some people say a runny nose is never caused by teething, but many, many moms provide anecdotal evidence otherwise. My fever and teething blog post has generated the most comments I've ever received - all from moms I don't know who found my post via Google. So I think the topic of symptoms caused by teething is one of great debate among parents. I'm hoping others will see this post on whether a runny nose can be caused by teething and add their thoughts.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep an eye out for that final molar. If his clear runny nose doesn't develop into a full blown cold, I'm going to suspect teething rather than illness.

I'm just disappointed that this runny nose has cancelled Rebecca and Jessica's plans to visit Aaron today. I hadn't told Aaron that "Becca" and "Jessa" were going to visit since I've found that play dates can often be canceled last minute due to illness on one side or the other, but I was looking forward to it on his behalf. But if I was their mom, I would stay away, too. Kids get enough illnesses unknowingly without intentionally exposing them to kids with cold symptoms.

No comments: