27 June 2009

Playing with Papa on Father's Day

I took the following video at the end of the day last Sunday. Thom was on his hands and knees to form a "tunnel", which Aaron likes to crawl through. He'll crawl from front to back, then turn around and crawl through the other way. When he is coming through in that direction, Thom will capture him on his way through and hug him. But of course, when I got out the camera, Aaron lost interest in the tunnel game and started playing with his eggs.


The eggs are from Easter. My parents hid 7 colored eggs for each grandchild who came over for Easter. Aaron's eggs were yellow. We only found 6, even with Dad's help (he's the one who hid them). But somehow, we only managed to get 5 of them home. I happened to have a 1/2 dozen egg carton and I had put the eggs in there for his play kitchen. It has troubled him to no end that there was a missing egg. I told him that it was at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I assured him that we would look for it the next time we were over there and I silently hoped they had an extra yellow egg at their house.


So on Father's Day morning, Aaron was playing with his eggs. He pointed to the empty spot in the carton and said "Grandpa. Missing egg." Meaning, the missing egg is at Grandpa's. So I said we would look for it at Grandma and Grandpa's house later that day. Driving down to their house for dinner, we coached Aaron to say "Happy Father's Day" to Grandpa. He had already learned the phrase that morning for his own father and was able to say it, but I wanted him to tell Grandpa when we saw him. When we arrived at their house, I asked Aaron "What are you going to say to Grandpa?" To which he promptly replied "Egg missing!" We laughed but reminded him that he should first say "Happy Father's Day!" But it didn't work. The first thing he said upon seeing Grandpa? "EGG MISSING!"


Fortunately, my mom found an extra yellow egg in a bag of plastic eggs in the garage. When we got it home and put it back, Aaron was so pleased that "Egg missing no more". Shortly afterwards, I discovered that his little Duplo people fit perfectly inside the eggs, so I filled them all up. In the video, he is playing with them. At one point, you'll hear him say "Funny people." as another person falls out of an egg. I had tried to put the Duplo doggy in the egg, but it wouldn't fit with it's ears. That's why at the end of opening the eggs, he's talking about a doggy and then goes to look for more people in the little house (an advent calendar, really, but it makes a good Duplo people house).



The video ends with Aaron climbing on his Papa and then running away (to play another game in the other room).


P.S. Although I took this video with my Kodak Easyshare, the file size was about 240 MB, which was too big to post. My Dad told me about a free Flash converter he uses for his website. This video converted is only 8.2 MB.

No comments: