02 June 2009

Eat doggie poop

This is not a phrase I expected to hear from my 2 year old. Maybe when he is 3 or 4 and in love with all things disgusting. But yesterday, after his nap, he was playing in his crib (he is rarely ready to get out of bed when he first wakes up) and he put the hat of his toy elephant in his mouth. I said "Don't eat the elephant!" in mock surprise. To which he replied "Eat doggie poop" and giggled.

I wasn't sure I heard him right so I had him repeat it and then said "Eat doggie poop?" To which he replied "Yeah!" and laughed some more. When I asked him who said that (not expecting him to have come up with such a clever idea at this age, or at least not expecting him to know what doggie poop is) he replied "Kim!"

I called Thom at work and said "Do you know what your son just said?" and told him about Aaron's new joke. We had a good laugh and joked that we'd have to talk to Kim about this.

Kim laughed today when we talked about it and said seriously "Aaron, we have to talk." They were at the park yesterday and there was a lot of dog poop which she was warning Aaron to avoid. He was good about recognizing it and avoiding it. But when she said "Ew, dog poop. Yucky", it reminded him of when she says "yucky" when he tries to drink the bath water. He has already decided that it is funny to say "Yummy. Drink." about the bath water when Kim tells him it is yucky. So when she called the dog poop yucky, he realized it would be funny to pretend the opposite and said "Eat doggie poop!" Of course she laughed, letting Aaron know this was funny and making him repeat it to mommy.

I guess we are already at the stage where disgusting things are funny. Who knew it started so young?

No comments: