28 May 2008

Not Your Daughter's Jeans

That was the sign I saw on the rack of jeans on Monday. I had gone to the mall to look for some new clothes, and to get out of the house and away from my sweet adorable son that sometimes I just have to get away from. But I did need clothes and the mall is so close, I didn't have to use too much of my $4.09/gallon gasoline to get there.

They say 9 months on, 9 months off, so I tried not to get discouraged when I hadn't lost my pregnancy weight at 4 months, or 6 months, or 8 months. But at 13 months, I've still got 10 extra pounds and I'm getting sick of wearing maternity pants and shorts. There is actually one pair of "fat pants" I bought when I was first pregnant but not pregnant enough for maternity pants and I can fit back into those, and a pair of drawstring shorts. But everything else I've been wearing has belly bands. I just hated the idea of buying bigger pants. I have a drawerful and more in the closet that would fit if I could just lose the last 10 pounds.

But it's taking too long and I thought a few new things might make me feel better since it's depressing wearing the same few pants day after day after day...

The problem is, I hate shopping for clothes. Especially since all the pants these days are designed for women who are size 2. They are cut so low, anyone size 4 or larger looks like they have love handles or a beer gut. Very unattractive. Especially on those of us who actually do have a beer gut. Or a baby gut, at least. Since I need petites, I have limited options on where I can shop. The Banana Republic has a petite section, but everything I tried on made me feel fatter. I looked at a lot of other pants in various stores and was about to go home empty-handed when I saw that Nordstrom's was having a semi-annual sale on women's clothes. On a whim, I decided to check it out. I found the petite section and started perusing the sale racks. Until I saw the sign.

It caught my attention, because even though I don't have a daughter, I knew that it meant these were jeans for someone who wasn't 20 years old and a size 2. I went closer and saw the tag that said Tummy Tuck Jeans with a picture of someone my size in regular jeans (tummy bulging) and the Tummy Tuck Jeans (tummy flattened). They claimed that I would feel one size smaller in these jeans. I was skeptical. But the ever-helpful sales associate, Cookie (I am not making that up) was at my side asking if I wanted to try them on (I already had a room started with a few sale items). The jeans weren't on sale and were in fact the most expensive jeans I've ever seen. I'm sure they aren't the most expensive jeans out there - I just never shop in Nordstrom's. But I had to know if they delivered on their promise. Because one size smaller would be my pre-pregnancy size.

So I tried them on. And they were the most comfortable jeans I'd ever worn. They were snug to zip up, but once they were zipped, they didn't feel tight. And I felt a size smaller. I thought I looked better than I did 2 years ago in my size-smaller Gap jeans. And considering how much trouble I've had finding pants (even before I was pregnant and a size bigger), I decided they were worth every penny. And I comforted myself with the great deals I got on some cute tops to go with my new jeans.

The first day I wore my new jeans, my mom asked if I had lost weight. I am going to live in these jeans. At least on the days I'm not in shorts. And someday, I hope I can buy another pair. In a size smaller.

Check them out. You won't regret it. http://tummytuckjeans.com/index.htm

1 comment:

Ernie said...

You blog way too much for me to even try to keep up (not keep up, as in me keeping up my blog, but keep up as in keeping up with your blog).

Congratulations on finding pants. Expensive pants apparently, but comfortable pants, of which their is something to be said.

And did you really have a baby sitter for four weeks while you stayed home with your baby and the baby sitter? Do you not know what baby sitters are for? They are to leave babies with, while you go do something else!

btw, I loved the Easter picture of Aaron and Mattea on the couch where they were looking at each other. Very cute.

OK. You may continue blogging, and I will come back again at some indeterminate time in the future and write another novella in your comments section.

PS: Don't be too concerned about Aaron's weight. It is much better to be underweight than overweight. Much.