13 May 2008

Mother's Day

We celebrated my second Mother's Day on Sunday. We met my parents, my sister Lia, and my sister Theresa and her family for brunch. It was crazy. Remind me not to go out in public next year.

Now that I've been a mom for a full year, I've been thinking a lot about how it's changed me. Some things I expected, but one thing that surprised me is how much violence on TV hits home in a way it never did before. Obviously if kids are involved, it's hard for me to watch, but we were watching something awhile back where an adult male was getting beat up and I remember thinking - what if that were Aaron? That would be awful. And suddenly it is so clear to me that every man is someone's son.


Being a mom has changed my perspective on a lot of things. Before I had a baby, I used to wonder why women took their kids grocery shopping. I knew I would either go shopping while Thom was home with the baby, or I'd have Thom go shopping, but it made no sense to me to try to shop with kids around. But now I know different! You don't take the baby grocery shopping (or on other errands) because you don't have a choice. You do it because the baby likes to go out. And because sometimes it beats being at home with the baby all day. I actually don't do the grocery shopping by myself with Aaron (Thom goes with us or Thom goes by himself) but I do other errands with Aaron.

I hope all the new moms out there had a great first Mother's Day. And I hope mine will be more relaxing next year.

No comments: