26 March 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Yesterday was my 34th birthday. I only wish Aaron hadn't woken up at 12:30am to be the first to greet my birthday - and again at 3:30am.

Following a long standing tradition, Thom took the day off from work. After some coffee at home and feeding Aaron breakfast, we headed out to a local French bakery where we had breakfast. I brought along some Joe's O's to keep Aaron occupied, but he showed more interest in Thom's croissant.

I've tended to shy away from feeding Aaron table food, especially at restaurants when I don't know the ingredients. We are supposed to avoid honey, dairy (althouth we got an exception for yogurt), soy, egg whites, chocolate, and strawberries until Aaron is 1. But as his first birthday approaches, I am less worried about introducing new foods. I thought croissants might have eggs in them, but I looked up a recipe and it seems like they don't. But we didn't let him have the strawberry jam that came with them.




After breakfast, Aaron was pretty tired. Rather than head home for a nap, we decided to go for a drive out in the country and let him sleep in the car. Then we stopped at the library to return some of his books and let him play with the toy they have that has doors he can open and shut.
In the afternoon, our new sitter Candace was here and I got some work done. After she left, we headed out to In N Out for dinner. We kept Aaron up past his bedtime, but he did great. He is very self entertaining and just enjoyed watching people around him - especially other kids. I'm sure it has a lot to do with his personality, but I have also made a concerted effort not to bring a lot of toys with us when we go out so that he learns to entertain himself in other ways. We have a couple of emergency toys and his pacifier, but other than that, he entertains himself by watching people and scenery, or playing with random objects at other people's houses. (My mom kept him quite entertained with her measuring tape for her knitting one day.)
All-in-all it was a very nice birthday.

No comments: