19 March 2008

First sign!

I've started using "baby signs" (sign language for babies - some of which is standard American Sign Language, some is modified, and I think some are completely created for babies) with Aaron. I've only tried a couple and the main one I use with him is the sign for "more" since I know this is the one sign that all kids whose parents use baby signs seem to pick up.

There are a couple of variations for this sign, but the one I've seen most often is to tap your fingertips together, backs of the fingers facing out, thumb behind the pointer and middle fingers. When he points to the box of Joe's O's (Trader Joe's version of Cheerios), I would sign more and ask "Do you want more Cheerios?" (Cheerios is easier to say than "Joe's O's".) He would watch me sign, then point more emphatically at the box of cereal.

Yesterday, it dawned on me to try one of the variations I've seen for "more". There is one version where you tap your right pointer finger on your left palm. And since Aaron loves to use his pointer, I thought this one might grab his interest. Sure enough, the first time I did it, he watched intently and smiled. And within a few minutes, he had tried to do it himself. He sort of raised both his hands in the air, left hand open, right hand with pointer out, and then brought them down and put his pointer on his left palm. When he did it, I gave him another Joe's O and praised him. He did it a few times, but not consistently and he still reverts to pointing at the box of cereal, but it is a start.

No comments: