24 October 2007

Thank you!

We've had so many friends and family call or e-mail to check on us since Monday. We really appreciate it. We've had several offers of places to stay and offers of help. It's a good feeling knowing that we can rely on our friends in times of need. And I'm so glad we live near family during something like this. My parents have been extremely helpful, I can't thank them enough.

Although I think we did pretty good packing for an evacuation, there are a few things we could have used, most of them for Aaron. Luckily, our friends Chris and Jenny live only a mile or so from my parents and also have a baby boy, so they have been a great resource. Monday, Thom went over to get a baby monitor and some bibs (I only had one with me that had already been in the diaper bag). The spare monitor they had was a video monitor and was not wireless. Not only is our room upstairs, it is the furthest one down the hall, so the monitor wouldn't help us if we were downstairs eating dinner. So on Tuesday, they offered us their wireless monitor, willing to do without it for a couple of days to help us out. This was a big help since we'd been making sure one of us (or another family member) was upstairs within earshot of Aaron while he was sleeping.

Also on Tuesday, we took Aaron over to Chris and Jenny's house for a bath. I hadn't packed any necessities for bathing Aaron. In addition to letting us give him a bath, Jenny had baked us some chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin bread (both were excellent!) and ended up packing a bag for us with the wireless baby monitor, the baked goodies, pajamas for me (which I forgot to pack), more burp cloths, some extra clothes for Aaron since Oliver is not yet using his 6-9 month outfits, and a baby towel and washcloths for us to take with us. All of this has made our stay away from home easier and more comfortable.

No comments: