07 October 2007

Rice Cereal

Just 10 days shy of Aaron's 6 month birthday, we decided to introduce rice cereal. He's been showing more and more interest in what we are eating and drinking and he's not been nursing as well - he'll stop eating to look around, then take a brief drink, then look around some more, so I'll end the feeding only to have him get hungry 2 hours later. So it seemed like the right time to introduce his first food.

I made sure to nurse him first so that he wouldn't be overly hungry, and then I made up a very thin mixture of organic brown rice cereal and breast milk. The spoon I'm feeding him with was mine. In fact it has my name and birth date engraved on the handle. I believe it is from Gerber. (I can't seem to find spoons like this anymore - they all have a rubber coating on the end, which seems unnecessary.)

The pictures were taken towards the end of the feeding. The video is from the very beginning. He seemed to catch on after awhile and I think he may actually have swallowed about the equivalent of 2 spoonfuls.





1 comment:

Ernie said...

Do you find yourself opening your mouth, while trying to get Aaron to open his mouth for the spoon? That seems to be a quite common occurrence for first time feeders of babies.