31 May 2007

Spring 2007 Bocce Invitational

On Sunday, we went to my parents' house for my Dad's semi-annual bocce ball tournament. All of his kids went in on a bocce ball set for him several years ago for either Father's Day or his birthday (I don't remember now) and it has been one of the best gifts we ever got for him. Dad is one of the hardest people to shop for, in part because he usually buys himself the latest gadget he wants before any of us have a chance. But he apparently didn't know how much he enjoyed bocce ball until we bought him this set. My parents have a nice long and flat front yard which is perfect for bocce. My dad installed wood rails around the court to keep the balls from escaping the yard (although they occassionally bounce out and we end up running after them).

A few years ago, Dad starting throwing regular bocce ball tournaments. I didn't think we'd make it this year, but we did (arriving late, of course). Thom got in a few rounds, but I mostly went to spend time with family and to let (force?) family members to hold Aaron for awhile. Several family members complied, and some even multi-tasked while holding him. He pretty much slept through the entire visit, leading some to wonder why we've called him fussy. He seems to like to sleep in people's arms - he doesn't sleep this well at home during the day.

My parents' friends Bonnie and Ray won the tournament this spring. Thom and I were on a winning team a couple of tournaments ago, but not this time. Maybe in a few years, Aaron will be
playing bocce, too.

Check out more photos from the tournament here.

No comments: