31 May 2007

6 weeks and counting

Aaron turned 6 weeks on Tuesday. Mom was over that day and helped me make some turky chili for dinner and some muffins for a gathering I had on Wednesday (more on that later). She also helped remove much of Aaron's cradle cap using olive oil and a comb. He looks much better now and the baby acne on his face is clearing up, too.

Since his yeast infection diaper rash hadn't cleared up after 4 weeks of using a prescription anti-fungal, I called his
pediatrician's office to see what we should do. They have an RN triage line where I left a message and an RN called me back later that afternoon. They were able to fit him in that evening, so I took him down to have his rash looked at. We saw a different doctor than the last two times, and she took one look at it and said it wasn't yeast, it was a contact something or other (I forget the term she used), and said it was from having acidic poop. She suggested I cut back on acidic foods and dairy products (since I'm lactose intolerant) and told me to use the white diaper creams on his bottom instead of the clear ones like Aquaphor. I guess the ones with zinc oxide provide a better barrier.

When we were at the pediatrician's office, they weighed Aaron. After getting on a scale at my parents' house over the weekend with and without Aaron, I expected him to be between 11 and 12 pounds. I was shocked to find out he weighed in at 12 lbs 7 oz! That is over a 3 pound gain in the last 4 weeks, the little porker. No wonder he didn't fit in the diapers for 8-12 lb babies.

On Wednesday, I had some other mothers and their kids over, more for the sake of the adults in my opinion, especially since Aaron is too young to socialize. There were 6 other moms here and a total of 8 children, including Aaron (who slept through most of it). It was good to talk to other moms of young children and seeing that our experiences with Aaron are pretty normal. It's also good to exchange ideas and advice with other moms.

With so many kids, it was a little chaotic, but I think they had a good time. I got out some of Aaron's toys he is too young for at the moment - like his wooden building blocks and his Fisher-Price Leaning Pots and Pans which the kids seemed to enjoy playing with. I wish I had gotten more pictures, but as I said, it was chaotic. You can see more photos from our gathering here. I think it is something I would definitely do again when Aaron is older and can interact more with the other kids.


No comments: