17 July 2008

15 Months

Today was Aaron's 15 month birthday. This past week has included so many firsts. Before I had a baby, I knew about the big "firsts" - first tooth, first step, first word. But now I know there are lots of firsts. In the last week we had the first ride in the forward facing car seat, first time in a pool, first time pulling to a stand on his own, first word.

Yes, today he said his first official word. He has mimicked us and said "dada", but not as a real word (just a long string of "dadadadada". Tonight, when I was holding him before bed, he said "mama" and I kissed him and praised him and he said it several more times. Clearly. "Mama". Not "ma-ma-ma-ma" like he has done. And it was so adorable and sweet and I kissed his cheek and when I'd stop kissing him, he'd say it again so I would keep kissing him. Sometimes he got it wrong and just said "ama", but he did get it right several times and seemed pleased with himself. I hope it happens again.

In the last week, Aaron has also transitioned from 2 naps a day to 1 nap. Starting about 2 weeks ago, he was skipping a nap here and there. On Sunday, he didn't go to sleep for his morning nap until 10am and then wouldn't take his afternoon nap. After he skipped his morning nap on Monday, I decided to just go with it and no longer put him down for his morning nap. He does seem tired in the late morning, but he makes it until 2pm or so, when we've been putting him down for his afternoon nap, And then he seems to sleep for 2-3 hours.

Unfortunately, the last 4-5 nights he has been tough to get to bed. We've pretty much been having to lie on the bed with him before putting him in his crib. Thom, mostly. It's such a bad habit, but he still puts himself to sleep for naps and he has generally been so good about going to sleep on his own, that I hope it is just a phase. I think the problem is compounded by his learning to pull to a stand (which he is doing and then crying), his last molars working their way in as well as his canines still working their way out, and the change in his nap schedule. Hopefully things get back to normal soon.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

The first "Mama" (or in my case, the first "Dada") is as wonderful as it gets being a parent. That is not exactly true. I love being a dad more today, than I did when Mattea was a baby. With each day, with each experience, with each milestone... it is such a rewarding experience. Welcome to the world of parenthood!