11 June 2007

Portable Baby

Today, I met my friend Karen for lunch at Panera. It was the first time I had taken him out to a public place. So far I've only taken him to doctors' offices, other people's homes, or the office. But Karen lives about an hour away, so we met somewhere in the middle. I hadn't seen her since I was pregnant, so it was great to catch up.

I was a little nervous about taking him to a restaurant, but he did fine. He slept for the first hour and when he woke up hungry, I fed him in public for the first time. Karen is very supportive of breastfeeding in public, which made it easier for my first attempt. I covered up with a blanket so no one could see anything, but it was still awkward trying to feed him in a booth without a pillow on my lap. It was good practice, though, and now that I know I can do it, I will probably venture out in public with him more.

In 8 weeks, we've taken Aaron out quite a bit. He's been to my brother's house, my parents' house, my friend Heidi's house, my office (twice), my doctor's office (for my 6 week checkup), his doctor's office, my friend Jessica's house, two baby showers, and now Panera. So far he has done really well when he is out of the house, usually even better than when he is at home. I think maybe he likes having new things to look at, or maybe he just likes sleeping in his carseat stroller (which is mostly what he does). I just know it makes the day pass so much more quickly for me when we get out.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I always found that Kimberly did really well out in public because there was a lot of ambient noise.

Take him to dinner with you now, before he gets mobile - that's my unsolicited advice :)