11 June 2007

Perspective

When Mont and Jessica and Gabe first came together to see Aaron, he was about 3 weeks old and Gabe was 10 months. I remember thinking that Gabe still couldn't talk or walk and it seemed that at 10 months, babies still can't do very much at all. I felt like it would be forever before Aaron could do anything.

A week or two later, our friends Bulent and Biriz came over with their 7 month old Alara. She was all smiles and since Aaron was sleeping, I got down and played with her a bit. Already my perspective had changed. Instead of noting the things Alara couldn't do, I remember thinking "Wow, she can smile, she can sit up on her own and she can grab the rattle when I hand it to her. I can't wait until Aaron can do those things!"

Now, at almost 8 weeks, I am marvelling at each tiny milestone. Aaron has started to smile and each time we coax a tentative smile from him is a cause for celebration. Then yesterday morning, when I was changing his diaper, Aaron stuck his thumb in his mouth and I was thrilled. (He hasn't done it again, but he is trying so hard to learn to suck his thumb, which we are excited about since he frequently refuses the pacifier when he is having a meltdown and wants to suck on my pinky finger instead. I guess skin tastes better than silicone. It will be much better when he can suck his thumb and soothe himself.)

Every week it seems like there is more he can do. But until I had my own baby, I couldn't appreciate the small milestones. Now I know that there are a million things a 10 month old can do that Aaron has yet to learn.

No comments: