25 June 2007

Backyard Wedding

My brother Jim got married in our backyard on Saturday. When we found out he was getting married a few months ago, we knew Aaron would only be 2 months old and figured that it would not only be fun to have a family wedding in our backyard, but it would be convenient to have everything we'd need for Aaron on hand. If we had gone somewhere else for a wedding, we would have had to lug a diaper bag with us and would have had to hold him the entire time. This way, we were able to put him down in his crib when he was tired.

Thom officiated my brother's marriage to his fiance Barbara. In California, anyone can be Commissioner of Civil Marriages for a fee. The honor is bestowed for a three day period for a specific couple. Jim served this role for our wedding, so Thom simply returned the favor.


Jim and Barb limited the guest list to their immediate families, which is part of what allowed us to hold the wedding at our
house. Since Jim and Barb each have 4 siblings, it was still a good sized crowd. It was a simple, beautiful wedding and the weather was perfect. It was a little hectic as hosts with the baby, but my mom, sisters and sister-in-law helped out quite a bit.

Even my new niece Elizabeth helped out with Aaron. When I was putting on makeup before the ceremony, I had Aaron in his bouncy seat between the two sinks in the master bath. Elizabeth sat on the floor next to him, talking to him and using hand gestures. Every time I glanced down at him, he was just staring at her, enthralled. I had been worried he might have a melt down since he was really tired, but he seemed to be very taken with his new cousin. Barb even offered to babysit Aaron when she's not at work, and I can see us doing some reciprocal babysitting. Before Aaron was born, I remember Barb telling me that Elizabeth would be a big help with the baby if I babysat her kids, but until I saw it in action, I couldn't believe that a 6 year old could really help out.

I've included some photos in my blog that my Dad took. You can see the rest of his photos from the wedding here.

No comments: