25 April 2009

2 Years Old!

I'm going to post out of order and cover Aaron's second birthday before posting Easter. Our little boy is growing up fast. For his second birthday, Thom took the day off from work and we went to see the butterflies at the Wild Animal Park. Click here for pictures from our visit, which included going to the petting zoo as well.

Afterwards at lunch, in lieu of birthday cake, we let Aaron have a taste of Thom's mocha. He really didn't drink it, just got a taste of it, but he enjoyed it. He now knows how to say "mocha".



After nap time, we did our weekly shopping (as we do every Friday) at Trader Joe's. When we told the woman who was at the tasting table that it was his birthday, she pulled out a sample bag of chocolate cat cookies, which I helped him eat. Then she sent another employee after us later and he not only got us a balloon, but went on the loudspeaker and said "Attention Trader Joe's shoppers. If you see a little boy with a red balloon, it is his 2nd birthday. Wish him a happy birthday." And the thing he loves best of all - he got stickers when we checked out.

After we got home, we showed him the train set we got for his big birthday gift. I'll post more on that in a separate post.
His birthday celebration really started on Easter when my family celebrated all the Spring birthdays. He got several new books (which is what is on my wishlist for him) including a wonderful pop-up-book my sister Theresa made that has pictures of him in it and a cute story to about him.

During the week, birthday cards arrived from distant relatives as well as not-so-distant friends. Then on Wednesday, when my friend Biriz visited with her daughters, she gave him a wonderful wooden tabletop workbench that is contained in a tool chest that we can take with us when we visit Grandpa. He doesn't understand the whole concept, but he likes putting the bolts and screws into the holes on the work bench, and all of the tools are used as if they were a hammer.

On Thursday, his nanny Kim brought a bag of gifts. From hearing us talk and knowing how he isn't into opening presents, she didn't bother to wrap them. After the first 2 presents, he eagerly looked in the bag for more until it was empty. Kim got Aaron several new vehicles for his collection that he enjoys parking and reparking, including some small Matchbox cars that he can take in his bag when we go out, plus some foam puzzles he can play with in the bath.

On Friday, in addition to the train set from us, he got a wooden train puzzle from Aunt Janine and Uncle Bruce. Besides the train set, we got him two new books. I had also gotten him an Automoblox car from the local toy store's Going Out of Business sale, but decided not to give it to him yet since he got so many things already. In fact, by Thursday, I had to reorganize his toys, moving some things to his closet and other things out of the dining room play area because it was getting out of control.

I almost forgot, also on Easter, my brother helped us bring back a plexiglass doll house that my mom's father made for her when she was a kid. I played with it growing up and my parents have been storing it for years. Since Aaron likes playing with doll houses at toy stores, I offered to get it out of my parent's garage now that we have room for it in Aaron's bedroom. So far it only has a few pieces of the sturdier furniture from when I was a kid, but I plan to get some new pieces for him. Mostly he just likes to open and close all the doors and take the furniture in and out. I'll have to do a post on it when I get some pictures of Aaron playing with it. It wasn't really supposed to be a birthday present, but the timing worked out that he got it the same week as all the other gifts.

All in all, I think he had a good birthday.

No comments: