12 June 2008

Early Start - Individualized Family Service Plan

I went in on Monday to meet with our service coordinator to discuss our IFSP (see title). Basically, it provided a synopsis of his assessment and then "the plan" for action. I had to sign off on the first page after we went through everything. Everything is voluntary and I can change my mind at any time. But basically, the plan consists of meeting with my coordinator every 6 months - so in October and again in April for Aaron's birthday, and meeting with a physical therapist once a week for 11 weeks, after which we can renew for another 11 weeks (indefinitely) depending on what the PT recommends. Since she knew I was only concerned about his gross motor skills, that is all we talked about. She did mention they don't usually address delays in speech this early anyway. And the good news is that she found a physical therapist based in our city that does home visits who is available in 2 weeks. If I don't hear from her soon, I can call her to schedule our first visit.

By the way, the official assessment said that for cognitive development, he is at the 15.5-18 month range. For gross motor skills, he is at 7-8.5 months. Fine motor: 15.5-18 months. Receptive and Expressive Language: 10-11.5 months (because he isn't verbalizing words yet - although I think he communicates well with signs). Self-help: 10-13 months. Coping: 10-11.5 months (but this was because he doesn't have a lovey and not all kids do, so I discount this score). Social: 15.5-18 months (no surprise that he is ahead here!). Emotional: 13-18 months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both you and Lia had a blankie. None of the other kids had one. Your oldest brother was very attached to a pacifier. Maybe Aaron gets comfort from that. So I would have to say half of my kids didn't have a lovey.