03 September 2007

Diapers

A few weeks ago, a marketing firm contacted me to offer me a free sample of Luvs diapers so I could review them on my blog. I'd never tried Luvs and it's the kind of thing I would blog about, so I agreed. I received a 40 pack of Luvs' new Bear Hug Stretch diapers, enough to test them out for the better part of a week.

Many of you know I was a Pampers fan from week one after the Huggies diapers leaked on us. I had bought newborn sizes of Pampers, Huggies, and for price, the Target brand. Somehow I didn't get Luvs. And after he hit size 3, we tried out Kirkland brand diapers from Costco and that is what we were using when the Luvs arrived.

I have to say I am sold on Luvs. The first thing I noticed about them when I took one out of the package was how thin they are - much thinner than the Kirkland or Pampers diapers. I was skeptical, but the first night he wore them, I was impressed with their capacity. I had found that the Costco diapers held more than the Pampers and I had been using them on Aaron at night. But the Luvs hold at least as much as the Costco diapers, maybe more. And being so thin, they take up less space in the diaper bag, which is a big plus.

The new Luvs diapers are called Bear Hug Stretch because the tabs that come around from the back to fasten the diapers are stretchy, making for an adjustable fit. The Pampers diapers have the same feature and Costco diapers have an elastic waistband all along the back, so this feature didn't really set Luvs apart for me.

What really sets them apart (in addition to capacity) is the inner lining. When we used Pampers, which have kind of a dri-weave lining, Aaron always had a lot of white lint to clean off his penis - not a fun or easy job, especially when he was fussy and squirming. But the Luvs diapers have a smooth lining and lint was not an issue. (The Costco diapers have a similar lining to Luvs and also are better than Pampers in this regard.)

Lastly, the Luvs diapers have the front side tabs very similar to Pampers, which I liked and which the Costco diapers do not have. Basically, Luvs has all the best features of both Pampers and Kirkland diapers, plus are the thinnest diapers for the capacity that I have tried.

And the best thing is price. You can get a 174 count pack of size 3 Luvs diapers on Amazon.com for $30.59, enough to qualify for free shipping. I worked out the cost per diaper and it is a fraction of a cent more expensive than the Kirkland diapers at Costco (which don't come with free shipping). And much cheaper than Pampers which are $39.79 for 160 (for size 3 Cruisers) on Amazon.com.

I'm three quarters of the way through my Kirkland box of diapers. Once that is gone, I will be switching to Luvs.

No comments: