13 November 2008

Polling Place Problems

As I mentioned back on election day, I ran into a problem with the poll worker saying he couldn't find my name on the roster. Afterwards, I e-mailed the Registrar of Voters for my county describing the incident and asking several questions to help me in the future. I wanted to share her response since others might find this useful. (For privacy reasons, I have censored the part of her response that identifies the county in which I live.)

-----------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for sharing your voting experience and for your patience and persistence to find your name in the roster at your precinct, even after going home to retrieve your sample ballot. In training we review and practice how poll workers should check the blue, white and then pink pages thoroughly for a voter’s name before providing them with a provisional ballot, but sometimes it proves to be a difficult task.

Let me respond to each of your questions below.

Q: Am I required to show my voter pamphlet at the polls?
A: No, it is not a requirement, but it does help poll workers find your name on the roster more quickly and to confirm that a voter is at the correct precinct.

Q: What options do I legally have if this were to happen again?
A: I do not know what legal options you have, but you can certainly ask to review the roster names with the poll worker as another set of eyes can be helpful.

Q: Can I ask for someone else to check for my name?
A: Certainly. You can also ask the poll workers to call the hotline for assistance.

Q: Is there anywhere else I can cast a ballot in if I have a problem with my polling location?
A: You are always welcome to vote here in our office in . We have permanent and temporary staff available to assist you.
----------------------------------------------
I think next time I would ask to see the roster myself and/or ask another poll worker to look for it. It is also good to know I can ask them to call the hotline or I can go to the office of the Registrar of Voters for help.

No comments: