10 November 2008

Happy Anniversary

Today is our 7th anniversary. 7 is the wool or copper anniversary.

After we got married, we decided we didn't need to give each other elaborate anniversary gifts, but we liked the idea of following the traditional anniversary gift ideas.

Year 1 is paper. I got Thom a book of poems. He made me a gift certificate to take me to Disneyland on a day of my choosing. (I had wanted to go for a long time and he wasn't thrilled about going, so this was a gift to me. We went the spring after our anniversary on a day it wasn't busy and got to ride Space Mountain 7 times - lines were 10 minutes or shorter.)

Year 2 is cotton. I got Thom pajamas and he got me a custom made sweatshirt that says "Humboldt Mathematics".

Year 3 is leather. I got Thom a leather picture frame and put in a picture he had taken of a tree on one of our vacations. He got me a leather bound book.

After three years of marriage, we bought a house. At that point, rather than surprising each other with gifts, we started picking something out together that we would keep long term.

Year 4 is fruit/flowers. We went to a nursery and got a flowering (silk floss) tree and 2 guava trees. The silk floss didn't survive, but we just started getting guava on both guava trees in the last year. Yum!

Year 5 is wood. We finally got a bedroom furniture set. From Costco.com. Setup and delivery included. Very happy about this one.

Year 6 is candy/iron. This was the first anniversary with a baby. We were lucky to get out to dinner (thanks to Lia and George). I looked around online for something wrought iron, but we never bought anything.

Which brings us to copper. One of our favorite metals. Thom has been wanting a wind sculpture ever since we saw them on a road trip in the southwest. And since they are made from stainless steel and copper, this seems like the perfect time to finally splurge and buy one. I think Aaron will like watching it. (That link shows how they look in the wind.) We get some nice breezes coming up off the lake so I think we should see a fair amount of motion.

Now I am waiting for my husband to come home with gourmet cheese, salami and bread - a treat for our anniversary. Last year, at the restaurant we went to, we had an appetizer with gourmet meats that was wonderful. We are trying to recreate it at home until we can get out to dinner again.

No comments: