07 September 2008

Obsessive Compulsive?

I've noticed that Aaron has a few "issues" that make me wonder if he is obsessive compulsive. I'm guessing it is normal toddler behavior. In fact, I remember similar issues when my niece Mattea was almost 3 and we babysat her for a few weeks while my sister was in the hospital (on bed rest with the twins). Mattea would point out if any of the kitchen cupboards were open when she was sitting in the kitchen to eat. She wanted us to close them. And one morning, I remember her getting up from the table, going to the dishwasher, pushing it closed (it had been 95% closed - but it wasn't latched), and then returning to her breakfast. She never said a word about it, but it must have bothered her and she felt better having it completely closed.

Aaron is troubled by open cupboard doors. Apparently not the lower ones that he opens and fails to close. But if a cupboard above the counters is open, he will whine and point until we notice the offending door and close it. This often happens during mealtime. He'll be turned around in his highchair facing the kitchen and start whining. At first we'll think he wants his milk from the refrigerator, or that he is just being fussy. But then I'll see that one of the cupboard doors is cracked open half an inch. I'm not sure if closing the door is just feeding his obsessiveness, but it seems to be the only way to get him to move on.

Another obsession is with his Bunny Love cereal. The cereal is comprised of little bunnies, little bunny heads, X's and O's (kisses and hugs for the "love" part of the cereal). Months ago, we noticed he wouldn't eat the O's, or would only eat them reluctantly. But now, he shows a strong preference for the X's. If you put a handful of the cereal on his tray, he will pick out the X's and then whine for more, despite the fact that he has other shapes left. He will eventually go back and eat the other ones if he has no choice. But occasionally, I will hold the dish of cereal in front of him and let him pick out the pieces he wants. He will look into the bowl carefully and then reach in and grab an X. (His eyesight and fine motor skills are impeccable.)

He is also obsessed with multiples. He'll often point to an outlet (with the little anti-baby plugs we have in there) and look at me. I always tell him "Outlet. Not for babies." And so he's waiting for me to say that. Once I say it, he'll immediately turn to another outlet within sight and point to that. He'll go back and forth. He can't do just one. Or he'll point to my nose, wait for me to say nose, and then immediately look for Daddy to point out his nose. And in the playroom, he has his stuffed bear and two dolls. He cannot give me one without giving me all 3.

I'm guessing his behavior has to do with a need for routine and his effort to understand the world he lives in. I suspect that like my niece, he will grow out of these compulsions. We will see!

No comments: