27 September 2008

Diapers.com

I was thinking about writing about this online store, but then I got an e-mail that convinced me to go ahead.

When I first heard about Diapers.com, it was in a feature in the Wall Street Journal where someone comparison-shopped for diapers at 5 online retailers, including Amazon.com. I had been buying Pampers on Amazon.com for months and felt that the review was horribly skewed towards Diapers.com. The woman claimed she couldn't find Pampers from Amazon.com directly, so she bought them from a 3rd party on Amazon who charged an outrageous amount for shipping. When you buy diapers direct from Amazon, shipping is free since it is free for anything over $25.

Anyway, the reviewer loved Diapers.com so much and gave such a bad review of Amazon.com, I felt that she was either an idiot (for not finding the Pampers directly from Amazon) or was being paid by Diapers.com to do the feature. Also, Diapers.com only has free shipping if you spend $49 and I only buy one case of diapers at a time (for about $35) so it didn't make sense to swith from Amazon.com for diapers. (I once bought two cases of diapers online only to end up with an entire case of unused size 1 diapers that no longer fit Aaron. Since then, I only buy one case at a time.) So I didn't shop at Diapers.com for a long time.

But eventually, I needed something besides diapers, and I was comparison shopping and found that Diapers.com had some interesting products (like BPA-free sippy cups and other green products) and competitive prices. And although their free shipping doesn't kick in until $49, I realized that it is 2 day free shipping. So I can order something on Monday and have it by Wednesday! Amazon.com takes longer.

If I just need a case of diapers, I'll order it from Amazon.com (although these days it is Luvs, not Pampers). But if I need other baby stuff, I'll order from Diapers.com.

Oh, and the e-mail that prompted me to finally write about them - I got a promotion code that will get you $10 off your first order: ELSH4273. I'll get a $1, too. So use it if you order from Diapers.com - just remember it is only good on your first order, so if you've already shopped with them, it won't work.

No comments: