02 July 2010

She's Trouble with a capital T



Here's a picture of Audrey sent from Kim's phone.  She's at the park, holding her own sippy cup in her mouth, trying to get her brother's water bottle.  She wants everything.  She wants it now.  And she especially wants it if it is Aaron's.  This particular morning he was tolerant, but there is a lot of noise when she goes after his stuff.

Audrey has been eating baby food for about 4 months now.  Recently she has started eating Joe's O's (Trader Joe's version of Cheerios).  The first time I gave them to her, I think half of one ended up in her mouth out of about 10.  The rest went on the floor.  She just played with them more than anything.  A couple of weeks ago when I tried again, after eating a few O's successfully she got an O stuck on the middle back part of her tongue and couldn't get it over to her gums to mash up.  She had a funny look on her face and then looked like she might be choking.  I panicked, tried to pick her up, discovered I had buckled her in, quickly unbuckled her, turned her onto her stomach and hit her back.  She spit up a little and seemed fine.  I doubt an O could have blocked her breathing tube.  More likely it just slid down her throat and surprised her.  Either way, I  was freaked out and didn't give her any more for awhile.

But Kim tried giving her some broken in half last week and she was eating them without problem.  Picked them up and put them straight in her mouth.  She's finally figured out how it works and she likes them.  I've started feeding her O halves, too.  It's useful after she's had dinner and we are eating.  I plunk her down in the high chair and feed her O halves one at a time.  I don't even know if she's hungry - I think she just likes the experience.  It keeps her quiet and entertained for a long stretch of time. She is always watching what we are eating and shows a great deal of interest in "real" food.  I think she'll be a good eater like her brother.

No comments: