15 October 2009

5 Week Update

I've been too tired and busy to do any updates, but I'll try to give a quick overview of the last 5 weeks, followed by some posts with pictures (which is all most of you come here for anyway).

At her 1 week checkup, Audrey was down to 5 lbs 2 oz, so we were a little concerned. But she was nursing well and had lots of wet and dirty diapers, so we knew she was eating well. But at her 2 week checkup, she was up to 5 lbs 12 oz, so a gain of 10 oz in a week! That was great news. The pediatrician said an ounce a day is on the high end, so we did great. We go back at 2 months for her next checkup and first shots.

Sleep has been difficult. Thom is now sleeping in Audrey's room while Audrey and I sleep down in our bedroom which is where we set up a bassinet with changing table (it's a Pack N Play). Some nights I've spent on the couch, just trying to get any sleep I can. Thom will stay up late with her some nights when I'm really tired and need the extra sleep. But since I have to be up with her every 3 hours, I try to let him get better sleep and get up with Aaron in the morning, hence the separate sleeping arrangements.

When Audrey started to have painful gas, I went to a breastfeeding support group on Monday. Someone suggested it could be a dairy sensitivity - that her daughter had that problem starting around 3-4 weeks. So I'm trying to cut dairy out of my diet to see if it helps. So far it does seem to make a difference. She was waking up about 2 hours after a feeding, first grunting, but then crying and sometimes little screams of pain as she passed gas. That seems a lot better now, although she still seems very fussy late at night. There's a chance she could be sensitive to something else in my diet, but I'll see how she does with dairy eliminated and then talk to the pediatrician at our next appointment.

Thom started back to work on Monday. It's been a little challenging without him, but fortunately I have Kim to help out 3 mornings a week. I even manged to have dinner ready when Thom came home Tuesday night, despite a very challenging diaper change that resulted in a bath for Audrey while trying to keep Aaron occupied and keep track of dinner in the oven.

So far Kim just helps out with Aaron, taking him out of the house most days to burn off some energy. I've had her watch Audrey briefly so I can grab a shower, but don't plan to have her watch Audrey more often until she's a few months old. (Although I've just signed a contract for some work to be done mid-January, so I might have to get help sooner depending on how well Audrey sleeps during the day.)

Aaron is adjusting well to having a baby sister. He does get frustrated sometimes and doesn't want me to feed her when he wants to play with me. And he really seems to be testing the limits lately, but overall, it could be much worse.

Oh, when I went to the breastfeeding support group, I weighed Audrey in a clean diaper - 7lbs 9.8oz. So she is continuing to grow quickly. She is starting to outgrow her newborn size clothes and I can see her face and thighs filling out.

No comments: