27 October 2012

Aaron Update


Aaron has been in school for 2 months now.  He knows all 117 Kindergarten sight words that he is supposed to know by the end of the year.  He knows all his letters and sounds and his number 0-30.  They tested him on these things.  He knew the numbers and sounds before Kindergarten and recognized all but a few of the sight words which he learned in the last few weeks.

He was finally assessed for his reading level and his teacher is now sending books home more at his level.  He's been able to read since just before turning 3, but he prefers us to read to him.  If I ask him to read a book, he might read it, but more likely he will say he wants me to read it.  Or if he chooses a book to read out loud, it is well below his reading level.  But he is a rule follower.  He knows he is supposed to read his homework books 3 times so he will read them without complaint.  And I think he is gaining confidence in reading already.  Based on his reading level we were told and looking online, I think he is reading at about a 2nd grade level. 

Since the math they do at school is not challenging him, I am looking into starting a co-op math class with some other families I know who have mathematically talented children like Aaron.  For example, I want to explore things like different number systems since Aaron and the other kids I know have shown an interest in learning to write numbers in different ways.  And I just want Aaron to be around other kids who love numbers and math as much as he does.

No comments: