17 January 2009

Seed catalog

This post is a little out of order (still have photos from 2008 I need to post), but I have a couple of videos that I want to put him since it won't take much time.

Aaron has been looking at catalogs in his high chair. It was Pottery Barn Kids for awhile and then we got a seed catalog. Thom apparently has fond memories of looking at seed catalogs in the dead of winter. When it was cold and snowy out, he'd look at all the wonderful things they'd be able to plant for summer. When he first gave Aaron the catalog, I thought it wouldn't keep his attention as well as the PBK catalog since it doesnt' have kids or babies or toys. But I was wrong. Somehow they got to the page that has an ornamental type of grass called Festuca Glauca, and Aaron thought that was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. So he always wants to go to that page and have us say the name and eventually he learned to identify the pictures of most of the plants on the page.



When he wants the PBK catalog, he says "baby" since it has a baby (doll) on the cover. When he wants the newer PBK catalog, he says "hat" since it has the Cat in the Hat on the cover. When he wants the seed catalog, he says "rah rah", the closest he can get to "Festuca Glauca".


He calls "Variegated Liriope" "ee-oh" for the vowel sounds in Liriope. He calls "Hardy Verbena" "bee bee" for the b sound in Verbena. But for some reason, "Lily of the Valley" confounds him. If I ask him to say "Lily", he blinks his eyes and does something with his mouth that looks like he just tasted a lemon (and I know because I gave him lemon on Christmas morning when my sister put it out for the German pancakes).

No comments: